Breakfast for dinner is a classic in most households. Generally it’s eggs of some kind, but there are some meals so delicious, so tempting, that even eating them for breakfast feels sinful. Add cannabis to that mix and you’ve got one of the best breakfasts, breakfast-for-dinners, desserts, or midnight snacks on the planet.
Case-in-point: cannabis-infused red velvet pancakes. These delectable circles of heaven taste like red velvet cake covered in powdered sugar and syrup. It’s the kind of food that makes you trick yourself into thinking is actually breakfast food and not just literal cake.
The history of red velvet cake is a lengthy and storied trip down a culinary rabbit-hole. Fun fact: did you know that traditional red velvet cake is actually just chocolate cake? Cocoa powder would break down flour, resulting in a soft, velvety cake—and a chemical reaction that caused a red colour. As with anything from history though, the true origins of red velvet cake are still disputed. More information on that can be found here.
For those of us who want to skip this history and get right to cooking, here’s our recipe for cannabis-infused red velvet pancakes.
What You’ll Need:
- ½ cup infused butter, melted and divided in half
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup organic cane sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon red food colouring
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Combine the milk, egg, and infused butter in a bowl and whisk thoroughly
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt – mix them together well
- Add the milk mixture, whisking together all the ingredients until it has a lumpy consistency
- Heat a frying pan or skillet on medium heat for 60 – 90 seconds
- Coat the pan with butter (or some infused butter if you want a little extra!)
- Pour ¼ of batter for each pancake onto the frying pan
- Cook pancakes for 2 minutes or until edges set and the top is bubbly
- Carefully flip each pancake and cook for another 1 – 2 minutes
- Repeat with the rest of the batter
- Dust the pancakes with powdered sugar, syrup and other favourite toppings such as fresh fruit, whipped cream, or chocolate syrup
Remember, even though these pancakes will look normal they are far from it. Make sure they’re kept out of reach of children and pets, and clearly marked if you’re saving any leftovers. It’s also important to start low and go slow when consuming cannabis, as it can affect everyone differently.